Industry Headlines

Baxter Completes Purchase of Sigma International

April 30, 2012
/ Print / Reprints /
ShareMore
/ Text Size+

DEERFIELD, IL- Baxter Intl Inc. has completed the purchase of SIGMA International General Medical Apparatus, LLC., a privately held company based in Medina, NY, by acquiring the remaining 60% of the company for a cash payment of approximately $90 million. In 2009, Baxter entered into an agreement with SIGMA for the exclusive global distribution of its infusion pumps, a 40 percent equity stake in SIGMA, and an option to purchase the remaining 60% of SIGMA.

SIGMA develops and manufactures smart infusion pump technology including the Spectrum TM large volume pump (LVP), which provides advanced safety and clinician-friendly features. In connection with the transaction, Baxter acquired SIGMA's product development pipeline, which includes a platform of multiple infusion technologies with advanced safety capabilities. Within the pipeline is a syringe infusion pump that has been submitted to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for 510(k) clearance. Syringe pumps are small infusion pumps used to deliver more precise amounts of IV medications and fluids to patients.

"The acquisition of SIGMA builds upon Baxter's long-standing leadership in IV medication and fluid delivery and demonstrates our commitment to patient safety as a global, leading provider of smart infusion systems," says Robert M. Davis, president of Baxter's Medical Products business. "We have had a distribution relationship with SIGMA for three years. SIGMA's smart infusion technology is a great fit with Baxter's fluid system portfolio and will expand our ability to provide clinicians with a comprehensive medication delivery solution at the bedside."

Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to Quality Magazine. 

You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Podcasts

Charles J. Hellier has been active in the technology of nondestructive testing and related quality and inspection fields since 1957. Here he talks with Quality's managing editor, Michelle Bangert, about the importance of training.
More Podcasts

Quality Magazine

CoverImage

2014 December

Check out the December 2014 edition of Quality Magazine for features!

Table Of Contents Subscribe

The Skills Gap

What is the key to solving the so-called skills gap in the quality industry?
View Results Poll Archive

Clear Seas Research

qcast_ClearSeas_logo.gifWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications,Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

STAY CONNECTED

facebook_40.png twitter_40px.png  youtube_40px.pnglinkedin_40px.png  

eNewsletters