- THE MAGAZINE
- WEB EXCLUSIVES
Theory of Constraints Handbook
The definitive guide to the theory of constraints
In this authoritative volume, the world's top Theory of Constraints (TOC) experts reveal how to implement the ground-breaking management and improvement methodology developed by Dr. Eliyahu M. Goldratt. Theory of Constraints Handbook offers an in-depth examination of this revolutionary concept of bringing about global organization performance improvement by focusing on a few leverage points of the system. Clear explanations supplemented by examples and case studies define how the theory works, why it works, what issues are resolved, and what benefits accrue, and demonstrate how TOC can be applied to different industries and situations.
Theory of Constraints Handbook covers:
- Critical Chain Project Management for realizing major improvements in delivering projects on time, to specification, and within budget
- Drum-Buffer-Rope (DBR), Buffer Management, and distribution for maximizing throughput and minimizing flow time
- Performance measures for applying Throughput Accounting to improve organizational performance
- Strategy, marketing, and sales techniques designed to increase sales closing rates and Throughput
- Thinking Processes for simple and complex environments
- TOC methods to ensure that services actions support escalating demand for services while retaining financial viability
- Integrating the TOC Thinking Processes, the Strategy and Tactic Tree, TOC measurements, the Five Focusing Steps of TOC, and Six Sigma as a system of tools for sustainable improvement
James F. Cox III, Ph.D, CFPIM, CIRM, holds TOCICO certifications in Production and Supply Chain, Performance Measurement, Critical Chain, Strategy and Tactics, and Thinking Processes. He is a Jonah’s Jonah, Professor Emeritus, and was the Robert O. Arnold Professor of Business in the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia. Prior to his tenure at UGA, Dr. Cox held the E. L. Lowder Professorship in the School of Business at Auburn University.
John G. Schleier, Jr., holds TOCICO certifications in all disciplines. He was President and Chief Operating Officer of the Mortgage Services Division of Alltel, Inc., Executive Vice President of Computer Power, Inc., and Director of Office Systems and Data Delivery for IBM, where he directed major software development projects, sales administration, and financial functions. Mr. Schleier served on the faculty of The University of Georgia Terry College of Business Administration as IBM Executive in Residence and as Executive Professor of Management.