- THE MAGAZINE
- WEB EXCLUSIVES
The Handbook for Quality Management, Second Edition A Complete Guide to Operational Excellence
The definitive guide to organizational excellence--completely updated
Fully revised for the latest American Society for Quality (ASQ) Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence (CMQ/QE) Body of Knowledge, The Handbook for Quality Management: A Complete Guide to Operational Excellence, Second Edition offers in-depth guidance on effectively applying the principles of quality management in today's business environment and delivering superior results. Designed to help you prepare for and pass the ASQ CMQ/QE exam, this authoritative volume also serves as an essential on-the-job reference.
- Business-integrated quality systems
- Organizational structures
- The quality function
- Approaches to quality
- Customer-focused organizations
- Integrated planning
- Strategic planning
- Understanding customer expectations and needs
- Organizational assessment
- Process control
- Quantifying process variation
- Quality audits
- Supply chain management
- Continuous improvement
- Effective change management
- Six Sigma methodology, including detailed descriptions of the DMAIC and DMADV approaches
- Management of human resources
- Motivation theories and principles
- Management styles
- Resource requirements to manage the quality function
Over the past 40 years, the quality management discipline has undergone steady evolution from disparate quality assurance efforts to strategic, business-integrated functions. Today's quality manager must be able to plan and implement measurable, cost-effective process-improvement initiatives across the organization.
Written by two of the foremost authorities on the subject and fully updated for the latest American Society for Quality (ASQ) Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence (CMQ/OE) Body of Knowledge, The Handbook for Quality Management, Second Edition provides an operational guide to the proper understanding and application of quality management in the current business environment. It serves as a primary reference source for an organization's quality program and for anyone seeking to pass the CMQ/OE exam, given by the ASQ.
The Handbook for Quality Management: A Complete Guide to Operational Excellence, Second Edition:
- Clearly defines quality management principles and their application within a cross section of industries
- Integrates the application of Theory of Constraints, Six Sigma, and Lean thinking into the Quality Management discipline
- Contains detailed methods for planning, including customer needs recognition, benchmarking, and organizational assessments
- Discusses controls such as statistical process control, audits, and supply chain management
- Explains the stages of continuous improvement
- Incorporates classic motivation theory with more current management practices advocated by Joiner, Senge, and Deming, among others
- Features simulated and past exam questions to help you study for the ASQ CMQ/OE exam with answers that can be found at www.mhprofessional.com/HQM2
Thomas Pyzdek is a Six Sigma consultant with more than 40 years of experience in the field. His clients include Ford, McDonald's, Intuit, Boeing, Seagate, Avon Products, and many other companies. Mr. Pyzdek is a recipient of the American Society for Quality Edwards Medal for outstanding contributions to the practice of quality management and the E.L. Grant Medal for outstanding leadership in the development and presentation of meritorious educational programs in quality. He has also received a Lean Six Sigma Leadership award from the American Quality Institute.
Paul Keller is President and Chief Operating Officer with Quality America, Inc. He has developed and implemented successful Six Sigma and quality improvement programs in service and manufacturing environments. He is the author of several books, including The Six Sigma Handbook, Third Edition (coauthor), and Six Sigma Demystified.