Enjoy a podcast featuring Jeff Wilkinson, Starrett Director of Research & Development. Jeff has been with The L.S. Starrett Company for 17 years where he is responsible for new product design and is a key developer of many of the company's most successful products. Mr. Wilkinson has delivered over 300 products to market, is a published technical author, is a 30+ year member of IEEE, as well as holds multiple patents. He is the former Director of Research and Development for Nokia.
Jeff answers questions such as:
- Why should you consider automatic data collection? What are the pitfalls of writing the measurement information down and typing it into a computer?
- Some shops and manufacturing plants have large areas where data needs to be collected on the shop floor. How far can data be transmitted?
- When scoping out data collection systems how extensive should the system be? Can a manufacturer start out small and expand the system easily enough as requirements grow?
- Data security is a key factor in the cyber theft age we live in, and critical for military, aerospace, medical applications and more. Can the data be reliably secure with today’s data collection systems?
- Manufacturers are increasingly utilizing remote monitoring. Can data collection systems be used remotely?
- What can be done with all the data that are captured? What are some key examples?
- Where would I start in order to implement data collection? Does the type of tool or brand I have factor in to the setup?
- Will CNC machinery and its electrical currents potentially negatively interfere with data collection/transmission? Can the data collection process communicate with my CNC machines?