InnovMetric launched PolyWorks® 2022, the latest release of its smart 3D metrology digital ecosystem. PolyWorks 2022 offers new key functionalities that significantly expand the capabilities of its three ecosystem foundations:
• The universal 3D metrology platform now facilitates multipiece inspection when CAD data is not available as well as introduces a universal data hub
• Digital connectivity between data and people is improved by enabling the deployment of global metadata management strategies and the programming of alerts that automatically detect failing dimensions and notify the right people in real time
• The collaboration between probing operators and their measurement hardware is raised to a new level by mixed reality display technology that enhances the operators’ perception of 3D metrology
Manufacturing organizations often need to measure and inspect multiple pieces even though they do not have access to a reliable 3D CAD representation of those pieces. For example, in the early stages of a product engineering cycle or after having physically adjusted the design on the shop floor. To address these measurement scenarios, the PolyWorks universal platform offers a new feature measurement guide technology to guide probing, scanning, and feature extraction when measuring and inspecting multiple pieces in the absence of CAD data and nominal feature components. Users can inject a CAD model and nominal feature components at any point later in the process and propagate these changes to already-measured pieces.
The PolyWorks universal platform also features a new universal data hub that brings all relevant data under one roof:
• Inspection projects can be created automatically from third-party software measurement results and shared digitally enterprisewide
• Native CAD and QIF MBD file readers import all GD&T control types to ensure digital interoperability with the product definition processes
• Users can also use a more accurate device to measure a dimensional control and inject the measured value within a scanned or probed object for reporting purposes
In a 3D metrology context, metadata consists of important attributes describing the part design, piece fabrication, and 3D measurement processes. PolyWorks 2022 ensures metadata is meaningful and usable by managing shared properties common to multiple inspection projects and piece templates. Unified and synchronized shared properties empower searches, filtering, and analysis across the broad centralized 3D metrology data archive.
PolyWorks 2022 also enables production teams to program alerts that monitor incoming measurements and notify the right people by e-mail when a dimension is out of tolerance or out of control. Notifications enable real-time reactivity as they include a hyperlink that instantaneously opens the problematic piece within a Web-based 3D viewer. From there, users can quickly assemble an investigation team using the PolyWorks modern digital communication technologies.
Manufacturing organizations need open solutions to interconnect their multiple enterprise solutions digitally and optimize their efficiency. InnovMetric also announced the availability of an API for its data management solution. Based on the OData open protocol, the PolyWorks 2022 secure REST API allows third-party software applications to access the hierarchy of workspaces, projects, and pieces, and the measurement objects and controls of individual pieces. The PolyWorks REST API is compatible with data analysis solutions, such as Tableau, PowerBI, and Excel, and allows users to inject parametric URLs referring to measured pieces into other enterprise solutions, such as PLM, ERP, or MES solutions, and to transfer information to other digital systems using programming languages, such as Python and C#.