Olympus NDT Introduces Web-Based Phased Array Ultrasound Tutorial
This tutorial is an introduction to ultrasonic phased array testing, both for newcomers and for more experienced users who wish to review basic principles. It begins by explaining what phased array testing is and how it works, then outlines some considerations for selecting probes and instruments, and ends with links to phased array application notes and a phased array glossary. In addition to text and illustrations it includes a series of very useful interactive Flash files illustrating key concepts. This free tutorial is on the company's website and is sure to provide a wealth of educational information concerning this fast-rising technology.
Currently, the tutorial consists of six sections with others to be added in the near future:
1. Introduction.This section provides a brief history of conventional ultrasound and phased array testing, the types of equipment available with these technologies, and also lists the advantages of phased array as compared with conventional ultrasound.
2. Transducers.This chapter describes how ultrasonic transducers and phased array probes are constructed and explains their characteristics. In addition, the reader learns about focal law sequencing, beam shaping and steering, and transducer focusing.
3. Imaging Basics.The tutorial provides very easy to understand illustrations and interactive Flash files that explain the various formats available for inspection data from both conventional and phased array instruments, including A-Scans, B-Scans, C-Scans, Linear Scans and Sectorial scans.
4. Phased Array Instrumentation.This chapter includes a brief overview of commercially available instrument categories. It also describes important specifications and features to be considered when selecting both conventional and phased array instrumentation. The chapter is supplemented with block diagrams and Flash files for greater understanding of how these instruments function.
5.Applications.A link is provided to the Applications section of the website that offers a searchable database of more than fifty application notes containing specific information on procedures and equipment for performing a wide variety of thickness gaging, flaw detection, and material analysis tests on metals, plastics, ceramics, composites, and other materials.
6. Glossary.This final section presents a convenient list of definitions for terms used in conventional and phased array ultrasonic testing.