Starrag USA installed its new LX021 turbine blade machine into its Hebron, KY, development center to bolster support of its aerospace and energy customers. The application-based design of the LX021 maximizes part rigidity with its spindle and sub-spindle part clamping. The turret on the sub-spindle allows multiple work holding strategies to be used to fully machine blades in one setup.
The LX021 offers a comprehensive integrated solution that includes:
• Self-centering vice that minimizes part distortion while maintaining accuracy and repeatability.
• Kinematic correction cycles to calibrate the machine and verify its health over time.
• Advanced RCS CAM software designed specifically to generate optimize CNC tool paths.
• RCS blade inspection precisely measures blades and compensates for forging variations to increase first-time yield.
• A 10-pallet storage system with a spindle-loaded part gripper to automate part set up for continuous operation.
Starrag's full-solution strategy includes incorporating Blum-Novotest Inc. probing technology for precise in-process part measuring, tool setting, and surface roughness verification.
The surface roughness gage is programmed with five-axis motion directly in the RCS CAM software. Roughness measurements can be made on surfaces as low as 16μin Ra. After in-processes measuring, the data is saved ready for SPC quality monitoring.
Starrag is also partnering with HAIMER, a leading precision tool holding manufacturer, to include their heat shrink holders and Power Clamp Special Addition heat shrink unit in the lab. Haimer's high-precision holders feature:
• Max runout of 3μm at 3XD
• 360° clamping contact
• Precision balanced to G25@25000 RPM
• Simple and repeatable tool assembly
The Power Clamp Special Addition heat shrink unit features a compact easy-to-use portable design that is perfectly equipped for handling smaller diameter tools.
"Our long-term customer partnerships are very important to us," explains Udo Herbes, managing director of Starrag. "Even after we deliver a solution, we continue to work with our customer so we can continue to engineer precisely what they value."
For more information, visit www.starrag.com.